Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Mayo Celebracion: GF Mango Margaritas



Cinco de Mayo ("fifth of May") is a Mexican holiday that commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. The holiday has little significance in Mexico and is observed primarily in the U.S. and the state of Puebla to celebrate Mexican heritage and pride. Mexicans and Latinos living in California during the American Civil War are credited with being the first to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in the United States. Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence day, the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.

Ever since I was a child growing up in California, Cinco de Mayo has always been a holiday that was celebrated and recognized. It is a great way to partake and enjoy the wonderful food, dance, and culture of the Mexican people. Now that I am an adult, I also love to enjoy a delicious homemade Margarita!

If you are unable to enjoy one today, make sure you get a chance soon. I will be making one for my husband and I while listening to Ana Gabriel and watching Teresa on Univision, as soon as I finish this blog.

Today I am sharing my favorite margarita recipes, don't be afraid to make up your own version. The key is using pure ingredients and a quality tequila. Tequila brands I recommend are: Hornitos and 1800 for the budget conscious, and Patron and Don Julio when you are able to bust out the big bucks.

Makes 4 servings

Mango Margarita
  • 4 shots puro de agave (100% from agave) tequila reposado
  • 1 bag (14 ounces) of frozen mangos
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup sucanet
Add all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Before pouring, salt the rim of all margarita or cocktail glass's.

Strawberry Margarita
  • 4 shots of puro de agave (100% from agave) tequila blanco
  • 1 to 2 bags of frozen strawberries
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup sucanet
Add all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Before pouring, salt the rim of all margarita or cocktail glass's.

Viva Mexico!

4 comments:

  1. Oh these look so good! I'm a huge smoothie fan, so this wouldn't be too much of a stretch for me! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed it, I have some great smoothie recipes coming up for the summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this to Shane and I got the chills! You are truly an inspiration and I can't wait for all your dreams to come true!!

    We're rooting for you and Angel! Please keep us in the loop with these blogs (i.e. Where we can find them to keep up with you guys).

    P.S. Has anyone ever told you that you're a fabulous writer!? Great recipes and info...keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christie! I will keep em coming for sure. =)

    ReplyDelete