Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Living Smoothie Style!

If you have read all my blogs for the month of June then by now you should know a few things about me:
  1. I love summer
  2. I love to cook AND eat (especially Mexican food)
  3. I love to be physically active (aka play) outside
  4. and last but not least,

did I mention that I LOVE Summer!

One of the many reasons I enjoy summer is because of the abundance and variety of fresh, ripe, sweet, and juicy fruits that are just waiting for me to eat them. You should enjoy them as much as possible too because they pack a good nutritional punch in every bite with all the vitamins, minerals, and disease fighting antioxidants they contain. Don't forget to eat from every color group because each color provides different health benefits.

These are my absolute favorite smoothie concoctions that I enjoy eating almost every day during the warm months for lunch or as a pre workout energy meal. They are always affordable to make when produce is in season and I can take them with me to work or any place I need to go and they also take very little time and energy to prepare. So blend up one of my favorite mixtures or come up with your own by including your favorite fruits of the season.

Tropical Tahitian Blend

  • Half of 1 fresh pineapple

  • 10-12 ounce bag of frozen mango

  • 6 ounces of frozen or fresh blackberries (berries are optional but add a nice great touch)

  • 3-4 cups of unsweetened Almond milk

Tropical Thailand Blend

  • 10-12 ounce bag of frozen mango

  • 4 fresh peaches

  • 3 -4 cups of unsweetened Almond milk

Berry Bonanza Blend

  • 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries

  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries

  • 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries

  • 3-4 cups unsweetened Almond milk

Add fruit to blender and blend until smoothie style.
These amounts make enough for 2 to 4 people at a time so you can adjust accordingly for individual servings.
The key to a great smoothie is choosing one frozen fruit to create a better blend.
Pick your frozen fruit of choice for any of these blends.
Many times it is more affordable to buy frozen fruits, especially berries, mangoes, and other tropical fruits that are not grown here.

Health Facts:
- Almond milk is naturally free of gluten, soy, dairy, sugar, cholesterol, peanuts, casein, eggs, saturated fat, and MSG.
- It is an excellent source of calcium, vitamin D & E, and a good source of vitamin A.
- It is naturally vegan and low on the Glycemic Index which is good for diabetes control and weight management.
- It contains only 40 calories and 3.5 grams of (healthy fat) per cup.
- My favorite brand: Blue Diamond Almond Breeze

So drink up and use Almond milk for all your baking, cooking, and/or drinking needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment