Sunday, January 26, 2014

Island Winter Inspired Soup

For those of you reading this on the mainland you probably wouldn't believe that there is winter weather on a tropical island. Really. If you came in the winter for a visit and you live in the frozen tundra it would obviously feel like summer to you. However, after living through our 3rd winter here, I understand even Hawaii goes through a winter season in which you will see locals wearing sweaters, you will hear them talk about sleeping in sweats and 2 blankets, you will watch in awe the 20-30 foot waves on the north shore, and you will notice how much it can pour down the rain, hence why it is so vividly green as well. This is so funny to me after living through 3 winters in Chicago and experiencing -20 degree weather and then getting so spoiled in Hawaii that it feels cold again! Hah! Those of you living in the REAL cold temperatures may scoff at me now. But really, this past week we experienced many nights in the mid 50's, and yes, that means we are cold here, because we are used to at least 70 and up here in paradise. And I sure don't mind being spoiled in that matter. =)

So after shivering (a bit) this past week and gaining more organic produce from my latest volunteer day at SOFT farm (an organic farm run by UH Manoa students and volunteers), then came all the thoughts of how I could utilize this magnificent giant gourd vegetable grown abundantly on the islands. Many of my experiences in life has taught me the value of healthy organic food and how not everyone can access or afford their own, therefore, I NEVER waste, I will and can always find a way to utilize the greatest gift provided in life.


I got some inspiration from a local friend who just happens to be a chef (Mahalo Kaimana) and the recent double blanket induced temperatures, grabbed that gourd and the rest of the vegetables I had on hand and got to work. And really this is not work to me, I just freakin love it!

Asparagus Cabbage Gourd Soup 
Organic Ingredients- Non GMO unsweetened soy milk, grapeseed oil, asparagus, cabbage, gourd, parsley, onion, garlic, Hawaiian sea salt, fresh ground pepper, turmeric, paprika, and bay leaf.

Chop all the veggies


Steam just the asparagus, (except the tops, will add to soup pot later)
In a blender or food processor, add the steamed asparagus, 4 garlic cloves, and 2 cups soy milk, and blend until smooth.


Add the blended asparagus garlic broth to a large pot, add 2-3 cups water, 1 more cup soy milk, 2 Tbs. grapeseed oil, all chopped veggies with the asparagus tops, salt, pepper, paprika, and turmeric (I don't measure out spices, I use my intuition and taste as I go.)


Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. 


Now all you have to do is enjoy and that will be so easy to do! I topped the soup with fresh parsley and paired it with a piece of homemade cornbread topped with local raw honey.



Cornbread is so quick and easy to make, try this wholesome healthy version with only unrefined, organic, and non-gmo ingredients. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl add and mix dry ingredients together then mix in the wet with the dry, pour in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. (I use Bob's Red Mill brand for my non-gmo and gluten-free flours.)

2 cups polenta
1 cup masa harina flour
3/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup fresh ground flaxseed (golden or brown version)
1/2 teas. sea salt
3/4 cup grade B maple syrup (you can substitute with any unrefined sweetener of choice)
1/2 cup coconut oil (can substitute with butter)
2 cups coconut milk (or any nut milk or dairy milk)

No comments:

Post a Comment