Saturday, November 20, 2010

Organic Gluten-Free Apple Cobbler



After living through two Chicago winters and now on my third I have learned to come up with many ways to stay warm. I have a new appreciation for comfort foods and love the way cooking not only warms up our apartment but my belly as well. I had some apples I wanted to put to good use before they went bad (because I hate to waste food) and that I did last night!

Here is my recipe for my organic and gluten-free apple cobbler, you will not be disappointed.

8 organic apples ( I used a mix of granny, golden, and gala)
- Core and cut the apples into 1 inch squares
- Combine the diced apples and 1 cup evaporated cane juice into a large bowl
- Place apples in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes so the sugar can draw out some of the juices

I a separate bowl combine:
2 cups brown rice flour
1 cup almond meal
1 cup evaporated cane juice aka sucanet
1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt

Mix dry ingredients together and set aside a 1/2 cup to add to the apples.

With the remaining mixture:
Cut up cold unsalted organic butter and mix into the flour mixture with your hands until you create a coarse meal.

Take the apples out of the refrigerator and drain the sugar syrup from the apples into another bowl.

To the apples add and mix well:
1/2 cup flour mixture
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 Tbs lemon juice

Place the apple mixture into a buttered casserole pan

To finish our flour topping in another small bowl beat together:
1 organic egg
1/2 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla

Mix this with the flour mixture with your hands and spread evenly over the apples.
Top off by drizzling agave nectar over the cobbler.

Place the dish into a pre-heated 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.

The smell this dish creates in your home will be 100% better than those scented glade candles. Not only will your nose appreciate this aroma but your taste buds will as well!


Optional topping:
I added 1/2 cup chopped pecans into the apple sugar syrup
I placed the drained pecans on parchment paper and baked in the oven for 10 minutes
Then sprinkled the roasted pecans to the baked cobbler

You can also top your cobbler with gluten-free whipped cream or gluten-free / dairy free ice cream.

This is soooo delicious and really easy to make, I guarantee it literally melt in your mouth!

More healthy tips:
Choose organic and/or locally grown apples
Use hormone-free butter and eggs
Use organic ingredients whenever possible
Use natural sweeteners like evaporated cane juice, agave, and honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment